Monday, November 9, 2009

Musings from the Weekend

I had a last minute offer to snag somebody's extra ticket for Jesus Lizard on Friday. I decided not to pull the trigger on it, and figured that I would probably regret it. Everyone I know who went said it was great. I instead opted to see Captured! by Robots at the Earl. I ended up not sweating the decision to pass on JL, as C!bR were fantastic this time around. I'm not doing a full write up on it, but I will say this guy impresses me each time I see him. The theme of the current tour is "I Got Motivated at Captured! by Robots!". The set consists entirely of covers of songs with motivational themes, such as "Eye of the Tiger" and "Gonna Fly Now" from the Rocky movies, "You're the Best" from Karate Kid and the like. He also threw in a pretty sweet cover of "Born to Run". It was a very fun show, and this time he put cardboard faces on the Headless Hornsmen: Tony Robbins, Dr. Phil and Sanjay Gupta, respectively. Comedy/music shows really aren't my thing, and that's usually because the comedy isn't that funny and the music isn't that good. In this case, the music is solid and the comedy is hilarious. Captured! by Robots was better this time than the previous two times I've seen it, and it gets my stamp of approval.

I attended the Cabbagetown Chomp n' Stomp on Saturday. I love that festival, but apparently everyone from OTP is now able to find Cabbagetown, so it's starting to get overcrowded. At least there was enough chili to last until 2 PM or so this year. As far as the music went, it was unremarkable, with the exception of Grinder Nova, which is always a lot of fun. Everything on the bluegrass stage was pretty boring, but given the history of Cabbagetown (which is pretty damned interesting, in my opinion), is a necessity. I just wish there were more people who were good at playing it. At any rate, if you want to check out a neat musical link between Appalachia and Cabbagetown, check out this Wikipedia page about Fiddlin' John Carson.

Ian McLagan plays Smith's tonight. I'm about 50/50 as to whether not I'm going to go. If I do, expect a writeup of the show within the next couple of days. If I don't, expect a brief mention of how much I regret not going.

Another one I'm on the fence about is country legend Charlie Louvin, who is playing the Earl this Friday. They've been playing him a lot on 1690 AM of late, and it sounds pretty good. He's also 81 years old, so there is a strong possibility I may never have the chance to see him again.

That's all I have for now.

1 comment: