Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Face to Face with a Face

Ian McLagan
Smith's Olde Bar
Atlanta, GA
November 9th, 2009

Considering how much I love music, and the high rate at which I attend live shows, I find it a bit surprising how infrequently I find myself in awe of an artist or band. Sure, most of the shows I go to are really good, and I am impressed by the performer, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm in awe. To say that Monday night at Smith's Olde Bar was an exception to this would be an understatement. As far as I'm concerned, Ian McLagan is practically a god. His pioneering work with a Hammond organ in his days with the Small Faces pretty much elevates him to that status by itself. Throw in his days with The Faces and he's there for sure. Studio sessions and touring with the Stones? Yeah, he did that too. He's also done session work for Dylan and Springsteen, and he backs Billy Bragg whenever he's on the road. To put it simply, Ian McLagan is a badass.

I didn't know what to expect at Smith's on Monday. The evening was being billed as "An Intimate Evening with Ian McLagan", which led me to believe this would be a solo performance, and not with the Bump Band, his accompaniment since he officially launched his solo career in 1977. One of the first things noticed was that the GA area in Smiths was filled with tables and chairs, which I had never seen before. The second thing I noticed was that there weren't nearly enough people who turned out to watch a living legend. I was not alone in this observation. I overheard Rick Richards, Georgia Satellite and legend is his own right, tell one of his rocker pals "this is a piss poor turnout for one of the greatest rock and rollers of all time". Well done, Mr. Richards. I couldn't have put it any better myself.

It had been so long since I'd been to Smith's that I forgot how much I like the room. The sound is fantastic, and the setting is appropriate for nearly any type of act. The opener, Dave Sutherland from the U.K., did an excellent job. It was nothing too out of the ordinary; he's just a guy with a good voice, good guitar chops and good songs. Actually, the idea of an artist being good at all three is out of the ordinary these days, it just shouldn't be.

Mac took the stage a little after 9 and delivered a fantastic set. He started out playing solo with his electric piano, and later was joined by Bump band member Jon Notarthomas on bass and guitar for a handful of numbers. He predominantly drew from his vast solo catalog; he has released 8 albums since 1977. Each song featured his amazing piano playing and a very good singing voice that doesn't sound like it's 64 years old. He was extraordinarily witty and charming, and his banter with the audience was top notch. He told stories of his days with the Small Faces, and then the Faces, and took some lighthearted potshots about playing with Rod Stewart during his commercially successful (read: shitty) years. He did a two song dedication to fallen comrade Ronnie Lane that include a rendition of the Faces' classic "Debris" that nearly brought me to tears.

The most remarkable thing to me was that this legend (and I think we can call him our own national treasure now that he's been based out of Austin for over three decades) was playing to such a small audience and it didn't seem to bother him or anybody else there. He gave his best performance, and every single person there applauded loudly after each number was finished. And then after the set he manned the merch booth himself and invited everyone to come say hello. I was honored to be able to shake his hand, buy a CD re-issue of his first solo record, which he signed for me, and tell him it was a pleasure to see him play. I can't wait to see the man again, whether it's solo, with the Bump Band, a Faces reunion or whatever. I will be there.

What did you do on Monday night? I got to meet one of the Faces. That sure beats the shit out of Monday Night Football in my book.

1 comment:

  1. Faced! Rectal surgery beats the shit outta Monday Night Football. I know.

    ReplyDelete