Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Coming and Goings On

Tomorrow I head to Athens to see Son Volt play the 40 Watt. I'm excited about this for two reasons. One, Son Volt absolutely destroyed at the Variety back in September. Two, I made my first trip to the 40 Watt last month to see Social Distortion, and it may be the coolest music venue I've ever been to. I should have a full write-up by the end of the weekend. I can't wait to see what Jay Farrar does on what he may very well consider to be hallowed ground. REM's Peter Buck was a big fan of Uncle Tupelo, and he produced their third album, which was recorded in Athens.

Nigels with Attitude, the XTC tribute featuring Tim Smith and Peter Stroud, is at the Earl next Tuesday. Be there.

The Queers are playing the Drunken Unicorn on Sunday, December 13th. That might be a fun one; I've never seen them live before, and it's on a Sunday, so it'll be an early show. I might have to make it out for that.

Besides the XTC thing, the Earl has a lot of kinda interesting shows between now and the end of the year, but nothing that I would call a must see. Well, there is one exception to this: On Christmas night, Fiend without a Face will be playing what I believe is their first show since last New Years Eve, and the amazing Dan Sartain will be opening. Unfortunately, I will be in Florida. Drag.

Reactionary Records is putting on a 2 day event at 529 on the 27 and 28th of this month. It might be worth going to on one of the nights, but the lineup doesn't jump out enough at me to want to buy the 2-day pass (although it is kind of a bargain for $15).

There's nothing that I consider to be worth going to see at either Smith's Olde Bar or Lenny's between now and the end of the year, so they're both officially off my radar until 2010.

Now that Criminal Records is in their new space, I think it's time they are officially anointed the coolest record store in the Southeast. I still spread the love around to Reactionary, Wax n Facts, Wuxtry, and even Full Moon from time to time, but they're really killing it on Euclid Ave. In addition to the in stores they've already had so far this year, including Dinosaur Jr. and Yo La Tengo, The xx did one in there yesterday prior to their sold out show at 529, and Heavy Trash (featuring Jon Spencer!) will be doing one there tomorrow prior to their show at the Earl. That is where I would be headed were I not already going to Athens.

There haven't been too much in the way of new releases or re-releases that has struck my fancy. Hopefully that will change because I'm eager to do some reviewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment