Saturday, August 29, 2009

New Music Review


Hank Williams
The Unreleased Recordings
LP
Time Life Records








This past Tuesday, a condensed version of last year's 3 CD anthology of Hank Williams' previously unreleased material was released on one LP, marking the first time that these recordings have been released on vinyl. This record serves as a compilation of the best stuff Hank and the Drifting Cowboys did while recording a weekly show that aired on the radio station WSM in Nashville. The show's sponsor was Mother's Best, a company that made flour, cornmeal and livestock feed. Instead of drawing from his own vast catalog for this show, Hank would cover the songs of other people, or he would take a traditional song and put his always unique twist on it. There are no Hank Williams compositions on this album; every song was written by someone else. But even after one listen, there is one thing that is obvious to anyone with at least one functional ear: When Hank Williams sang a song, it didn't matter whose song it was, it became a Hank Williams song.

I don't know all the details about this period in Hank's life and career, but he's clearly a legend on the decline. This program was aired throughout 1951; whenever Hank was home, he would head to the studio and record a few weeks worth of the show to be aired while he was out on the road. He died on New Years Day of 1953, so he was nearing the end. It would have been around this time that the Grand Ole Opry had given him the boot, and he was relegated to performing in the minor leagues: The Louisiana Hayride. His addiction to morphine and alcohol was worsening, and his marriage was falling apart. Listening to him talk to the show's host, Cousin Louie Buck, you can hear in his speaking voice that he sounded like a beaten down man. He sounds tired and old, even though he was only 27 or 28. But when he sings, it's the same magic as always. This long player includes two songs originally recorded by Roy Acuff: "The Prodigal Son" and "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain", and a version of Scotty Wiseman's "Have I Told You Lately that I Love You". These are three songs that have been covered by numerous artists throughout the years. What is it that all three of these songs have in common? The absolute best version of all three of these songs that you'll ever hear are on this record.

The two best things on this record are both reworked traditional songs: "When the Saints Go Marching In" and "On Top of Old Smokey". Hank's version of 'Saints' is unlike any version of the song I've ever heard. After spending my whole life hearing it performed by every Dixieland jazz band to ever pick up some brass, it's easy to forget that this was originally a folky gospel song. Hank takes this song on with the passion of a fire-and-brimstone preacher, and it's hard to believe this is the same song made most famous by Louis Armstrong. "On Top of Old Smokey" is absolutely brilliant. I'm 34 years old. I have no recollection of this as a pop song. It was a million seller for a group called The Weavers in 1951. I, like most people, remember this song as one of the most popular targets for childish parody songs. When I first think of this song, I think of the parody "On Top of Spaghetti", which I probably found amusing between the ages of 4 and 6. In fact, forget the previous statement 'When I first think of this song', because I don't think about this song. I haven't thought about this song in nearly 30 years. Not until now anyways. I was able to find a clip of this very recording on Youtube. The sound quality isn't all that spectacular, but check this out anyways:



Amazing. I'm convinced that Hank could have probably done a cover of "Ice Ice Baby" and it would have made me want to cry after he was done with it. Sometimes I wonder how anyone was ever this great of a singer. He's truly one of the few that no matter what he sings, you believe it. The pain and sincerity in his voice is something that just cannot be faked. That's Hank Williams. The man was a god.

I strongly recommend this LP. This is some truly unique stuff from a legend that you've probably never heard. I think this one's going to be in the regular rotation for a while around here. Now I'm gonna run. God told me I needed to buy some Mother's Best cornmeal, and I don't want to go against his wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment