Monday, October 26, 2009

Updates

I've been super busy over the past couple weeks, as Rocktober has been in full effect, but I wanted to touch on a few things:

1) Social Distortion was fucking fabulous on this tour. I saw them at the 40 Watt in Athens on Friday, and at the Shoreline Ballroom in Hilton Head on Sunday. Expect a 2,000 word fluff piece about how awesome Mike Ness is within the next couple of days. It's coming.

2) Last Tuesday, I caught Art Brut at the Earl. Unfortunately, I was too busy getting ready to get out of town to write at length about it then, and now it's not fresh enough in my mind to recount. Suffice it to say that they were a tremendous live act. Eddie Argos is one of the best frontmen I've ever seen, and their set is pure fun. Don't pass up an opportunity to see them in a small club. You'll probably also be surprised at how many of their songs are familiar. I've never owned any of their stuff (that's going to change), and I knew at least half of the songs they played.

3) The soundtrack to the movie about Jack Kerouac, One Fast Move or I'm Gone, has been released. It's a collaboration between Jay Farrar and Benjamin Gibbard. I might check it out, but I probably won't review it. I actually never read Kerouac, so I doubt I'll fully get it. Maybe if it was just a Farrar project, I would be more amped up about it.

4) Speaking of Farrar, since Son Volt was so badass at the Variety Playhouse back in September, I got a ticket to see them at the 40 Watt in November. This is going to be a great show in a great venue. Tickets are still available now, so you should make it happen.

5) I'm going to a party on Halloween night, but I may be looking for a late starting show after that's over. The leading candidates right now would be the Howlies at the Star Bar, or possibly the Modern Skirts at Smith's. If anything else decent is going on, I'm open to suggestion.

Let's look alive and finish Rocktober strong. It's been one for the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment